Friday, September 22, 2006

Family Vacations

Well, wish me luck--I am going on a weekend retreat to the mountains with my immediate family for the first time in over 30 years (the last vacation I took with my whole family was at the age of ten when we traveled less than an hour to a camp ground). My father later told me he had contemplated suicide with his five kids in the back of our old station wagon fighting the whole way. I, however, remember the vacation as really exciting and fun--but I was looking at it through the eyes of a kid. I have since gone on several nice vacations with individual family members which have always been a pleasure--but this time, the majority of my family will be there, except for my wonderful father who died four years ago and a brother who lives too far away. I look forward to a chance to get away and re-connect with my siblings and mother in a relaxed setting away from the problems of life for a while. Life is so complex these days with family responsibilites, work, family illness, problems etc. but it is in the moments of quiet with friends and family that life really happens. It is best to savor them while we can.

Update: Well, the vacation was a big success--everyone had a wonderful time and got along beautifully. The one downside was that the cabin we rented was totally made of wood, with no runners, meaning that the floors and stairs were very slippery--I had warned my mother, who is in her sixties to be careful about falling, but of course, I was the one who took a tumble. I fell down a flight of stairs (after trying to catch a cup of coffee I had stupidly dropped), bruised my tailbone and a toe, along with my ego, but it could have been worse. Other than that, it was great.

8 Comments:

Blogger SFN said...

Best of luck!

12:51 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Helen said...

Doug Wade,

Thanks--I hope I don't need it.

1:30 PM, September 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have lots of fun! Tell your sister I said "Hey."

3:26 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Grim said...

Good luck! You'll probably have a great time. :)

7:34 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger TMink said...

Enjoy the mountains! My family is making a similar trek this November.

Trey

12:21 AM, September 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen, I'll bet it will be great.

For about 25 years now, each January, my parents and my dad's two brothers and their wives have gone camping at the same lovely spot. It has great swimming, yachting, waterskiing, fishing etc. Some pics from the first time I went, at the end of my degree:

http://www.hoult.org/bruce/Houhora-1984/

(I'm partially behind my mother, on the left of the group photo)

These days we usually have three caravans, half a dozen tents, and up to about twenty people at any given time. It's great, but I regret that with a city job 1100km away and with limited vacation time it's hard to take time off in late January when I've already taken ten days off at Christmas, so I've only been a few times.

7:45 AM, September 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad the fall was no worse. We need your research and opinions.

9:41 AM, September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

性感影片彩虹a片天堂性感遊戲免費a片下載下載a片080苗栗人聊天室性愛自拍UT視訊交友視訊辣妹av性感辣妹 sex女優彩虹頻道免費影片bbs論壇 限制級視訊交友網性愛免費色倩短片試看卡通a片18成人免費影片sex免費成人影片辣妹影片直播慣性背叛無限動漫色色網女同志聊天室ut 聊天室環球辣妹聊天室 90691同志色教館

11:43 PM, June 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home