Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Joys of Podcasting

It seems that Ricky Gervais, the British Comedian, has made it to the Guinness book of World records with his podcasts (Hat Tip Fraters Libertas). "The Ricky Gervais Show, the popular podcast which earlier this month made a new Guinness World Record for having 2.9 million downloads, is returning for a much-anticipated second series." It seems that Mr. Gervais will now be charging for his podcasts.

"This project represents the first major transition from a free to a commercial podcast. Season 1 of The Ricky Gervais Show was free, but now Season 2 is available through a small subscription charge. In the light of 3 million downloads, Gervais jokingly lamented giving his show away for free in a recent podcast, saying: 'I have been a fool.' "

Wow, thanks to our wonderful readers and subscribers, Glenn and I have had over half a million downloads on our podcasts in only six weeks--I wonder if we can catch up?

I must say that podcasting is just plain fun...it is great to look at books, articles and videos of our guests and see what, how and why they think the way they do. Tim Minear, the producer and writer of Wonderfalls and Firefly among others, never went much past high school. Claire Berlinski travels the globe writing and thinking about social problems and politics, and Bill Frist spends time thinking about how to keep Americans safe from health epidemics. As a kid, I spent my time reading biographies of people who were successful. I was always intrigued by how someone's life came together in such a way that made them an inventor, athlete, public figure or writer etc.

People's minds work in such different ways and it is amazing how we all come to find our path in one way or another. I wonder what I would do if I could live another lifetime and choose another career path knowing what I know now--I think I would choose to be a film director and start at a young age--but since that is an impossibility--then luckily, I can live vicariously through others by devouring their writing, music, politics and films.

11 Comments:

Blogger A Jacksonian said...

And we benefit by listening to people have a genial interchange or conversation, rather than a vituperative verbal volley.

My thanks to you and your husband for such fine work.

2:49 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Rick Lee said...

As I said before in an email, I think that the Glenn & Helen show is going to go a long way towards replacing the sorely missed Booknotes program. The same spirit is there.

2:54 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you look at the listener reviews of the first episode of the Gervais season 2 podcast on iTunes, you'll see a huge negative reaction to the price. When I looked it up there were over 140 comments, almost all of them negative. They're going to have to lower the price, or accept a much smaller audience.

3:12 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gervais probably would have been better off to have gotten advertisement revenue for his show. We've seen very often that many many people will visit web sites and download stuff that's free... but they all disappear once a fee is requested. However, that's up to him - I'm sure he's hoping to make money at it and good luck to him!

I've enjoyed your podcasts very much (those I've been able to listen to with my time constrains). It is interesting to hear people talk about what they do and maybe how they got to that place.

If I had to do things over again - I might have started on the career path I have now when I first got out of high school. Then again - who knows what would have happened if I had done that. Since I like where I am now - I don't wonder too much about what "might have been".

3:40 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read instapundit religiously and occassionly follow links for drhelen, yet nothing but nothing would compel me to listen to a podcast. Why would I download and listen for ten minutes to hear information that I can scan in 30 seconds, and, even better, search and easily link to and quote? In Gervais' case, I admit there's probably something in his delivery that would be lost in transcripts. But book discussions? People who write are probably best able to ummm...yknow...express themselves in text.

3:47 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been able to listen to the Claire Berlinski and Austin Bay/Jim Dunnigan casts (via direct listen - no iPod), but have thoroughly enjoyed them. Taking a cue from peg c., the Tennessee pace (not a drawl to a fellow Volunteer) helps establish just the right tenor for the show. Thank you and your assistant (the one with the AWOL accent) for having fun - it's contagious.

DC

4:03 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Macon said...

I've really enjoyed your podcasts! Thanks for putting them together.

6:47 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had 9 million downloads in two days.

7:00 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Helen said...

anonymous 7:00,

Don't you wish you were getting 99 cents for each of those?

7:04 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Helen said...

Waiting for transcripts and Jonathan,

Transcripts at this point are time consuming and expensive and I am a horrible typist! The shows Glenn and I do are labor intensive--and we do them in our "spare time" which is rare. When and if, it becomes easier or cheaper to do them, we will be glad to provide transcripts. Thanks for your input.

9:51 AM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

視訊做愛視訊美女無碼A片情色影劇kyo成人動漫tt1069同志交友網ut同志交友網微風成人論壇6k聊天室日本 avdvd 介紹免費觀賞UT視訊美女交友..........................

10:25 PM, May 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home