Thursday, January 05, 2006

Positive Psychology

Many of my readers have commented on the focus of unhappiness or psychopathology in psychology. Martin Seligman is a professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania who founded Positive Psychology. Positive Psychology focuses on one's strengths rather than weaknesses, and asserts that happiness is not the result of genes or good luck. In his book, Authentic Happiness : Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment,Seligman teaches readers that happiness can be cultivated by identifying and using many of the strengths they already possess. If you would like to see what your signature strengths are, you can take the Signature Strength Survey at authentichappiness.org. There is even a test designed to test the signature strengths in children coming soon.

Take the test when you have a few minutes although they have a shortened version. Just for the record, my top signature strengths are bravery and valor defined as "you do not shrink from threat, challenge, pain or difficulty. Valor is more than bravery under fire, when one's physical well-being is threatened. It refers as well to intellectual or emotional stances that are unpopular, difficult, or dangerous." (This sounds like many of the bloggers I read).

Okay, that looks pretty accurate for me. I have always prized people who are brave and I despise cowardliness in people--and especially in myself. Anyway, take a look at the website if you would like to learn what strengths you have and if you feel like sharing--post a comment about it--or about your thoughts on positive psychology in general.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't the Greek definition of happiness something like, "The exercise of vital powers in the pursuit of that which interests and satisfies"? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

I am glad that there's a movement away from the focus on the Dark Side, if you'll forgive the Star Wars allusion. It has always seemed to me that that would be among the most difficult parts of that kind of work, assuming that normalcy equates with happiness.
--wg

5:33 PM, January 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like a moth to a flame...

Curiosity and interest in the world
#1

Maybe that helps explain my attraction to psychological tests.

Positives are a good thing. I recall planned "outside" exercises/activities and affirmations from days of yore. Once again (I'm being redundant), I believe a combination of approaches and perspectives is likely to be most effective in creating permanent behaviorial changes. Elements of Positive Psychology would probably be handy tools to include in the old therapist kit bag.

7:12 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Assistant Village Idiot said...

creativity, originality, etc, with a strong humor as #2. That's about right. I like that they don't list all 24 characteristics, so you can't go and mope about what were your Lowest Strengths.

I think it's a JCAHO requirement that we have to address strengths in a patient. Especially with a chronic problem, that's important. If you have an infection, you don't really need strengths so much as you need an antibiotic. But if you have a chronic physical illness, your strengths are going to be of enormous importance.

The studies on resiliency in traumatised or neglected children are shoing much the same pattern. Protective factors -- like having someone who cares about you, or a stable living arrangement -- may be more important predictors than extent of trauma. My two Romanians would certainly be good examples of that.

10:20 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger DADvocate said...

I'm in there with auld pharte: Curiosity and interest in the world. I love to know stuff about almost anything especially about how people do things or used to do things. Guess that's why I watch Discovery Channel, History Channel and A&E more than any others.

11:41 PM, January 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to wrangle yet another login and password just to take yet another web personality test. Frankly, very few web sites are worth the ID/PW hassle. I'm sick of scrolling through my password file for all these self-important sites that imagine I will be more loyal for all the petty hazing. It's quite the contrary.

This particular site's registration is also unduly nosy, lengthy, and intrusive. I would lie through my teeth if I were forced to provide such information. It's the worst I've seen for personality tests. Security question? Terms and Conditions? Privacy policy? Email opt-out? To take a web personality test?!

Yes, I'm lazy. I'll just have to do without.

11:54 PM, January 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks intriguing but I'm certainly not registering with my real name and DoB. And I'm never comfortable lying on legit sites. Hmmm. Is that a strength or weakness?

1:46 AM, January 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Modesty and humility
You do not seek the spotlight, preferring to let your accomplishments speak for themselves. You do not regard yourself as special, and others recognize and value your modesty.

2. Love of learning
You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.

3. Creativity, ingenuity, and originality
Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

I'd say I'm more self-effacing than just plain modest. I like blending in with the woodwork, which is why I've been unemployed for the past 11 months, I suspect.

2:37 AM, January 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I slammed the bars on Humor and Playfulness. Makes sense since I had just finished laughing myself sore at the "2006 Monthly Doos Dog Poop Calendar" I'd found from a link on Dave Barry's blog.

Gratitude came in a distant second.

1:46 PM, January 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.................

5:21 AM, March 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home