Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I have never understood why some people equate having or not having money with morality. I don't think being rich gives you a license to look down on others but at the same time, being poor does not mean that you are a virtuous and good person.

I was once driving with some filmmakers (excuse me, artists) while working on my documentary and one of them became angry when a older white gentleman pulled in front of him. The filmmaker became very irritated and stated "I hate old guys in Mercedes." I lost it and let the filmmaker know what I thought about his prejudiced and insensitive remark. Somehow, he had made the mistake that I would be grateful that he was sticking it to this symbol of paternalistic capitalism. I was not impressed.

Rudeness and hate come in all forms--I have had the chance to work with well-off people who were kind and giving and those who were broke but cruel and suffered from a sense of entitlement. So, just as being rich should not be a measure of a person's worth, being poor should not be a reflection of a person's virtue.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Being Poor...

Related to this issue is a series of comments on John Scalzi's blog. It was an attempt to comprehend the reasons why a lot of people could not leave New Orleans even if they want to.

http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003704.html

The comments show that there is lingering prejudice and stereotyping in this society.

2:42 PM, November 25, 2005  
Blogger Serket said...

"On Being Poor" was a really good read, even though it is sad. I have experienced a few of these things. My parents were really poor when they first were married and now are probably considered lower middle class, but they are poor money managers.

Interestingly, Scalzi is distantly related to John Wilkes Booth.

5:05 PM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

視訊做愛視訊美女無碼A片情色影劇kyo成人動漫tt1069同志交友網ut同志交友網微風成人論壇6k聊天室日本 avdvd 介紹免費觀賞UT視訊美女交友..........................

9:40 PM, May 19, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

視訊交友90739免費視訊情人辣妹av969 免費短片免費色咪咪影片網 a片美女視訊視訊情色網a片免費看夢幻家族影音視訊聊天室嘟嘟情人色網影片土豆網韓劇播放性愛姿勢 sogo 色論壇美眉共和國美女視訊色美眉部落格男同志聊天室免費成人情色愛情公寓aaa片免費看影片sex movie日本美女寫真集情色a片情色交友色情遊戲aio交友愛情館sex999免費影片伊莉成人視訊交友歐美潮吹短片線上a片85cc免費影城s383情色大網咖sex888 sexy girl自拍美女聊天室 s383視訊情人主播脫衣秀微風論壇080聊天室

1:08 AM, June 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home