Wednesday, February 08, 2012

I don't generally take products from publicists who ask me to try one of their products. However, a few weeks ago I was at the computer with my neck and arm aching from clicking the mouse for the hundredth time and I saw an email asking if I would like to try a new pain cream for carpel tunnel, neck and back pain. "Sure," I wrote back and yesterday, a big package of this Topricin Cream arrived in my mailbox.

I read over the literature that accompanied the cream to see what it was made of and checked out the website that stated:
Our patented topical formula aids in the healing process by improving blood flow to the injured tissue and draining toxins and fluids that build up as a result of injury or painful ailments like arthritis. Unlike many other over the counter pain relief creams and medications that just mask symptoms, Topricin® stimulates the body's desire to heal the damage that is causing the pain. Whether for muscle pain, joint pain, soft tissue pain or injury, Topricin® is often the first treatment that doctors, chiropractors and physical therapists recommend.


Okay, it seems safe enough, (I hope!) so I tried some on my neck last night and today and have to say that it does seem to help the pain and I am able to turn my head further than usual. However, I wonder if this is a placebo effect? Does anyone know anything about this stuff or have you tried anything like it? Maybe a better solution would be to stop working on the computer so much and take a walk, of course, but that would make too much sense.

13 Comments:

Blogger Armed Texan said...

It's homeopathic which means it is definitely a placebo. If you look at the list of active ingredients, all of them have a compounding number next to it. What that means is they have taken the active ingredient soaked in water or alcohol and then diluted it as 1 part in 10 "nX" times. So, echinacea is 6X and that means at best you are getting 1 part in 1,000,000 of an unconcentrated extract solution.

5:33 PM, February 08, 2012  
Blogger Mark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:54 PM, February 08, 2012  
Blogger redrajesh said...

I doubt if anything topical can actually provide any relief. I just do wrist curls using dumbbells and squats using barbells to relieve my back and wrists from pain. I guess strengthening them is a better approach than trying to relieve the pain.

4:27 AM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger TMink said...

Hey, the placebo effect is measurable. Relief is relief.

Trey

9:39 AM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger Dr.Alistair said...

placebo is good if it is effective for you, and the naturopathic remedies do work, whether they are placebo or not.

or me, exercise even when injured is best, due to the endorphin response of the body due to exercise.

and if it wasn't for my ability to keep moving after an injury i would be crippled by now.

11:24 AM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger Dillon said...

Try a vertical mouse.

11:25 AM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger M said...

Maybe a better solution would be to stop working on the computer so much and take a walk, of course, but that would make too much sense.

I work on a computer 8-12 hours a day. I have a special mouse pad that has a special cushion for my wrist.

IMHO, getting away from the computer is key to prevention of carpel tunnel, etc. As usual, it doesn't work for everyone. In addition, the height of your monitor, desk, and chair play a factor. If you are going to be using a computer for many hours, try to make your workstation work for you. I've recommended to people to purchase chairs, etc. that work better than the standard office furniture supplied by their employers.

11:49 AM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger Joe said...

"draining toxins" is one of the phrases that tells you whatever the remedy is is bogus.

As for neck/arm aches, take time to find a very good chair and adjust your desk and monitor.

At my last job, my desk/chair/monitor setup was perfect. At my current job, not so much, but I can't quite figure out how to fix it.

3:05 PM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger Alex said...

Test

3:54 PM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger Andrew Zalotocky said...

Helen, there could be a serious scientific experiment in this. Is it possible to design an experimental protocol that controls for the placebo effect when the experimenter is also the experimental subject? I suspect not, but attempting to do so might provide some interesting insights into what conditions are required for the placebo effect to be effective.

8:22 PM, February 09, 2012  
Blogger distilled waters said...

Wow what a post i am so impressed here can you more share here i will back to you soon as soon possible and also i have some information for you just click here Pur water filter coupons, I think you will inspire here.
Thanks for sharing with us....



Pur water filter coupons

10:29 AM, February 12, 2012  
Blogger Uncle Bill said...

Try a track ball, instead of a mouse. A friend who had carpal tunnel had it recommended by a doctor, and it helped her, so I tried one, too. I find it much easier on my wrist and arm. Only problem is, they are getting harder to find.

5:58 PM, February 12, 2012  
Blogger Dr. C. said...

It's not entirely placebo effect. The act of massaging a cream into your sore neck will provide some relief, both for your neck and your hands.

I recommend the services of a masseur, preferably one with a concealed carry permit.

8:26 AM, February 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home