Thursday, October 13, 2011

Do you have "Text Neck?"

I think I do. Not from texting, as I don't do much of that, but from the computer, writing, and using a calculator constantly. After reading about Text Neck over at Instapundit, I self-diagnosed myself and decided this morning to spend a few minutes doing neck stretches and strengthening exercises from a great book I use called 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot. If you have problems in any of these areas, try this book, it has helped me a lot.

Anyway, according to an article on this disorder over at the Daily Mail:
'Our muscles are designed to flex and retract,' he told Mail Online.
'If you stay in a fixed posture for too long like peering over a phone you are putting those muscles under stress.'
Mr Hutchful said leaning the head forwards was like holding a 10 to 12lb weight away from the body.
'Muscles will go into spasm if they have to hold such a position,' he said.
He added that tall young women with slender necks were anatomically most at risk from neck problems, as were sedentary people not used to using different muscles.

The article has several tips from a chiropractor to combat text neck such as taking frequent breaks and rotating your shoulders forward to increase blood flow.

Do you have text neck? How do you combat it?

10 Comments:

Blogger ZorroPrimo said...

Self-diagnosing?

You know that is not right.

I was an English major, and I don't even self-edit.

8:46 AM, October 13, 2011  
Blogger Cham said...

I am 80% through a large Internet project where I am making 5 posts on the Internet annotating every homicide in Baltimore City for the last 5 years, we're talking about 1300 dead people. I am also geocoding all their locations for use on a map. I'm using a laptop with a touch pad for mouse. I started this project on Monday, My left wrist is in constant incredible pain at this point. I have one more year left, 2008 and I want to knock it out today. Text neck is the least of my worries.

9:33 AM, October 13, 2011  
Blogger HMT said...

Take up indoor rock climbing. Then you're constantly looking up at your partner while belaying. That should even your neck out. Plus it's fun and good strength training!


I am not a neck doctor.

10:06 AM, October 13, 2011  
Blogger dr.alistair said...

i took my bicycle out yesterday for the first time in a week or so and my neck was stiff this morning and i didn't realise why until i read this.

thanks helen!

11:13 AM, October 13, 2011  
Blogger Ken Green said...

I've been fighting with something similar lately, pain in the right side of the neck from looking down at my computer monitor or Kindle. I've had it happen before, if I leave my computer monitor in one position for too long. So, I repositioned it, raised it up a bit, shifted it off-center so I have to turn my neck slightly to look at it, and it seems to help.

3:43 PM, October 13, 2011  
Blogger ZorroPrimo said...

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Apple iPod. You are about to enjoy the thrill of convenient, 4G text messaging and Internet accessibility. This Users Manual will provide all the information you need to fully utilize this device.

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that continued use of this product may result in scroliosis.

7:44 PM, October 13, 2011  
Blogger ZorroPrimo said...

I try not to do this too often, but a tad off-topic:

If anyone is interested in reading a frisking of a recent NYT article about the "glass ceiling" and women's inability to break it, this is a pure forearm shiver to the feminist solar plexus. It is at times riotously funny.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2011/10/the-glass-ceiling-has-not-been-shattered/#more-30061

Enjoy.

9:05 PM, October 13, 2011  
Blogger br549 said...

I don't have a text neck. However, I am getting a flat ass and a pouch belly from too much time at a screen and a telephone all day. I push away from my desk and get up and move around ten minutes out of every hour.

5:10 AM, October 14, 2011  
Blogger redrajesh said...

generally, going to the gym and doing barbell squats and shoulder presses seems to take care of all pains along the area of the spine. Especially when I do barbell squats, a lot of sweat is released around the lower back and the muscles there become very supple and relaxed after that. The same for the neck when I do other excercises where I have to flex it a bit like pull ups or shoulder press etc.

8:53 AM, October 14, 2011  
Blogger Miss Conduct said...

I'm an editor--this neck pain is very familiar to me. I lower my office chair further than I would normally sit, so I'm looking straight ahead or slightly up at what I'm reading. Also, I always use a copy stand for paper copy and raise my monitor. Chin parallel to the floor is the idea. None of this would help for people who text too much but well, you know, it's the cost of doing business.

6:38 PM, October 14, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home